Friday, October 8, 2010

Forgotten Graves


 I finally got into the old cemetery on Agua Mansa today. It is sad, stark, lonely, vandalized, peaceful, weed-strewn, vanishing. Lizards posture in the hot sun on tombstones, dragonflies battle over tumbleweed territories and the ground is riddled with squirrel holes, causing the grave markers to tilt and topple.

Personally I have no bone to pick with graveyards, I take the air there willingly, perhaps more willingly than elsewhere, when take the air I must.”  Samuel Beckett

4 comments:

  1. You captured Agua Mansa Cemetery beautifully!!!! Glad you were able to make it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These words and pictures are so poetic! Thank you for sharing this place and your experience in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was delighted to find this post. I visited Agua Mansa and did research there 35 years ago. My research and photos are thorouoghly tucked away and will surface eventually, but . . . I wanted to write about Agua Mansa on my blog today and barring my own work, I've sent my readers here. My love for pioneer cemeteries started in this place.

    ReplyDelete