Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Soul, Departing

It has been an hour. I have typed, groaned, erased, sighed, re-typed...and started over once again, yet everything I wanted to express about the death of a complete stranger eludes my focus.
I keep staring at the monitor, at this image that spoke to me the moment I viewed it on the tiny screen of my camera.
There you go, I thought. Out of the frame.
When I read about author Lisa Madigan's diagnosis at 47 of pancreatic cancer and her death one month later, I did what we all do--gave in to the uncontrollable urge to visualize how I would deal with a death sentence. How would I react? Would I be angry, hysterical, stoic, courageous? Would I fight or give up? I confess, I don't know myself well enough to say. And that's scary to realize. Am I a fighter? Would I be strong in the face of the unknown that lies just outside the frame? Or would I curl up and mourn for all the things I never got a chance to experience?
Note To Self: Don't waste time. It's too precious.  Practice being strong in life. Speak up, speak out. Love deeply. Explore.Try everything once. Even if it looks kinda scary or hard. Grow. It's all you can do to be prepared--to have no regrets.

1 comment:

  1. Such a thought provoking piece, Annie. You're so right, time is precious. This isn't a dress rehearsal. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete