Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Anticipating Interruption

This must be what the the first dawn in Eden was like, I think, as I open my laptop by the kitchen window and prepare to pour my soul into something inspired. A perfect morning. Pink light filtering in over the keyboard, bees beginning their rounds, tiny yellow birds rustling awake in the trees, the hum of the refrigerator--and the slightly irritating rattle as it vibrates against the wall. I hear a whimper. I ignore it. I'm writing. I'm focused. Another whine--pitiful and insistent. The dog is standing outside the window, staring at me with the intense concentration that I myself can never seem to achieve. I sigh, abandon the keyboard and let him in. Grab more coffee. Maybe a piece of toast will help. I sit. Gather my thoughts. Prepare for inspiration. It's about time for the parrot to wake up. Wait for it... Wait for it... Exactly two minutes later, the kitchen echoes with "It's cold outside!" (she's inside) "Come 'ere, come 'ere!" Another sigh and I rise to uncover her, put her on the kitchen perch, then sit at the keyboard and anticipate her shriek that means "What are you doing over there when you should be paying attention to me?" I bend over the keys. She shrieks. I stand up again. The dog thinks it must be time for breakfast. He ambles, stiff-legged, into the kitchen. She leans from her perch and tries to catch his ear. He barks. She screams "Shut up, Buddy!" and laughs manically. The hubby shuffles in. He casually asks, "Are you writing?" I give him THAT LOOK. He graciously starts a breakfast of blueberry waffles. My favorite. I guess I can write later. After I fold the laundry.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad we don't have a parrot. One motor mouth in our household is plenty. I love your dog. And how I know that stare. Jack's stare is more like a Chihuahua death stare. And he knows how to work it! And I think Hespeth has put a spell on us 'cause now I've been blogging. Either that, or Pat has worked her persuasive magic on us! Keep us posted on your photography exhibit. I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's not kids, husbands, or a phone call distracting us from our writing, it's our pets. Your post is a hoot! You have such a great sense of humor and it comes out in your writing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it's the anticipation that stops me. I just keep waiting and expecting instead of plowing ahead despite what may come. ;) I love this post. It's so full of sensory detail even in the mundane of another morning. Nice writing, Annie!
    Hahahahahaha, Maria! Yes, I'm bespelling you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A parrot! You have some family, Annie :)

    And I thought our cats were loud and insistent. No words there, but one loud yowl from Sha-do and I know exactly what he's saying--I'm borrrrrrrrred. Play with me! It works especially well when he plonks his butt down on top of my fingers on the keyboard or arches his back, tail upright, between me and the monitor.

    Yet, despite the rattling frig, the howling dog, and the talkback parrot, I know you will write. You'd better write. Can't wait to hear more of your lovely stories, Annie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can identify with all of this. Mostly the interruptions are demands on my time. I wish I could hibernate for about six months!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Annie! You have an award waiting for you on my blog. Come by and claim your award! :-)

    ReplyDelete