Sunday, April 3, 2011

Out There

It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.  Unknown
Read it again. Powerful, isn't it?
I've come to the point in my creative endeavors where I have to do that most terrifying of acts: Share--with strangers.
See, one day you realize you have a story, a book, a photograph that is as polished as a shiny red apple and ready to give to the teacher. Your mom loves it. Your husband loves it. Your granny loves it. But sending it off into the world of chew-em-up-spit-em-out publishers? Out there? Scary. So many times in my life I've stopped right here. Fear of rejection? Fear of attention? Maybe even fear of sucess? The truth is in the quote above. I've never thought of myself as a"Writer" or "Photographer".  It is difficult for me to claim when someone asks what I 'do'. Yet, when I occasionally dredge up the courage to say it, I am bombarded with enthusiasm and interest. If I could bottle that positive feedback, it would be awesome. I'd take a swig every time I hesitate over that "submit now" button. 
Here's the interesting thing. I was working on this blog before going out of town this morning. This evening, as I decided to complete and post it, I noticed an email from  the magazine I daringly submitted a short story to a couple months ago. Heart pounding, I opened it.  "Sorry, not what we're looking for." Rejected. I waited for it to hit me--the crushing weight of failure, the depression, the need for a gallon of coffee ice cream. Hmmmm. Nothing. Hey! It didn't feel that bad after all. Tomorrow I'll send it out again.  And the ice cream can just hang out in the freezer until I have something to celebrate. 'Cuz I'm a Writer and a Photographer, and we never give up on following our dream.

"Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth."
Katherine Mansfield, Writer, 1888-1923

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your quotes especially the first one! And yep, rejection or "not what we need" letters are all subjective. You're an awesome writer, so send it out again. Someone will say "yes." And if not, there is more than one way to birth your creativity. A good friend, non-writer, once shared these words of wisdome to me. Her name is Faith. And she lives up to her name! So, Write-On! And don't forget to visit my blog...there's an award waiting for you to claim. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a writer and a photographer all right. I love your attitude and those quotes. Believing in ourselves is the first and most important step.

    ReplyDelete