Monday, October 24, 2011

The Fortune of Family

Family faces are magic mirrors.  Looking at people who belong to us, we see the past, present, and future.  ~Gail Lumet Buckley

"Granny Bee" will be 99 in December. Yesterday, she visited with both sons (one in person, one on Skype), three grandchildren (two in person, one on Skype) and four great-grandchildren (one in person, three on Skype). Is this awesome? TOTALLY! Not only the amazing technology that allows her to travel to the homes of sons, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and even great-great-grandchildren...but how wonderful it is that all of us have been able to have a relationship with the matriarch of our family over the years. I don't know many of my contemporaries who have living grandparents. Some never even knew theirs.
She is our treasure. And as I watched her marvel at the wonder of seeing our family on her TV, I thought how lucky I am to be with her each Sunday, to gather up as many memories as I can of my Granny, so that when she is gone I will have them to keep as MY fortune. To have heard from her own lips the stories of her girlhood is precious to me. To know she loves me, is proud of me, has known me as a woman as well as a child--these thoughts enrich my life.

2 comments:

  1. Love those pictures! you do have a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your granny is beautiful!!! And you are very lucky! I love all of the photos, too! :)

    ReplyDelete