Friday, January 13, 2012

Aim For The Moon

I welcomed 2012 a few nights after the ball dropped in a distant city--alone in my backyard, gazing at the faraway moon. Barefoot, with a bright idea (and freezing!), I fiddled with my christmas camera to see if I could finally capture the majesty and mystery I witnesses 14 years ago through a large telescope set up on a mountain top by a stranger.

Back then, I was alone in a different way--emotionally fragile after a divorce, fearfully on my own in a "moved-on-without-you" world. A friend prompted me to step up on the box and take a peek. The sight was so overwhelming, I burst into tears. I saw the moon as if it were a mountainside across the valley. The enormity of seeing it so terribly, wonderfully close...as if it could be reached out for and touched...was life-changing.

The moon isn't all that distant. Neither is what you want from your life. A few adjustments to the lense, a change of perspective...and there it is, well within reach....and ready to be explored.

"Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may well hit a star."
W. Clement Stone

3 comments:

  1. This post moved me in ways I can't explain. Thank you for the reminder of who I am in God's creation and His love for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been watching the moon my entire life.
    Cyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome analogy. Love your writing. And that quote rocks!

    ReplyDelete